Small group lessons are a vital and necessary part of the total music educational experience. Too often music students have little opportunity to work in an ensemble and to collaborate with other musicians. The sooner this process begins the better for the student. There is no program like this offered anywhere in the Lehigh Valley and helps make The Bethlehem Music Settlement’s educational program most attractive.
It is for this reason our group program is required, and provided at no additional cost to registered students. We invite students from other music studios to register for a nominal fee. They should call the studio for an interview.
In addition to the fun sharing what they know and what they can accomplish with others, our students gain:
- Self-confidence and a stronger self image
- A stronger practice discipline
- Stronger reading skills
- Stronger rhythm, beat and tempo skills
- Stronger listening skills
- A sensitivity to other performers
The curriculum includes:
- Jaques-Dalcroze classes including sight reading, sight singing and ear training.
- Music Theory classes including digital composition, and arranging classes.
- Performance Repertory Classes including two piano works and/or voice and piano works.
- Master Perfromance Classes in voice and piano offered by our faculty and guest faculty.
- All classes take place in the Studio on Falcon Drive except for the Eurhythmics courses which are held at Moravian College in Peter Hall or Hearst Hall. We schedule Group Lessons three times per calendar year in April, August, and December.
The Group Lesson Program is a requirement for each registered student . The only exceptions are illness and family emergencies. The Settlement will do it is best to accommodate the students’ schedules. However, parents are encourages to cooperate with the schedule as much as possible. Group-lesson schedules are prepared two months in advance, at which point we make adjustments where necessary. There are no changes in the schedule once the program has begun. There are no make-up lessons for missed Eurhythmics lessons. However, we do make accommodations for other missed group lessons only if the schedule and availability allow.